We tried to be very explicit that this alignment procedure is very delicate. Please note the following red text that we wrote on page 12:
"Please read the following thoroughly and only proceed with the alignment procedure if you feel well informed about what you are doing"
when having the focus wheel axis 45° to the OTA axis.
Please notice our website for instructions how to mount the Diamond Steeltrack - as you can see there have to be new holes done to mount it.
You need to have access to the inner tube holding the nuts but the Makstutov Correctore is closing it - I´m sorry.
If the holes fit, you can simply replace your focuser with the SteelTrack for Newtonians. Please note that the Steeltrack is designed for tubes with 20cm diameter or larger; for smaller tubes, you need additional spacers (#2957235).
Am I forced to buy the 2" BDS-NT Baader Diamond Steeltrack® Focuser # 2957230 with the delivered Versabase that would be useless for me or can I buy only the focuser without it and with of course a lower price ?
For most of our products you can find further informationen always under the link "Downloads" like manuals, drawings, software, etc.
Hope you can help,
Have you a base plate for this focuser which is suited to this telescope tube? I have measured the distance for the bore holes lengtwise to the tube to be about 86 mm, and crosswise to about 81 mm. The latter distance is measured with a caliper, i.e. it is the straight distance between the holes, not the slightly longer distance measured along the circumference of the tube. The tube diameter is 285 mm.
I hope there is a suitable base plate available for my telescope.
BDS Instruction manual: http://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/downloads/dl/file/id/175/product/2859/instruction_manual_for_all_baader_diamond_steeltrack_bds.pdf
Versabase dimensions: http://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/downloads/dl/file/id/31/product/2859/bds_nt_versabase_dimensions_technical_drawing.pdf
DetailsVideo of mounting instructions
BDS-NT Mounting instructions
on an 8" Newtonian telescope in nine simple steps
- Remove current Focuser
- Remove screws and spacers of BDS-NT Diamond Steeltrack®
- Loosely mount new focuser using the old holes
- Remove focuser from VersaBase by opening 8x hex screws
- Use old screws and nuts for centering VersaBase plate
- Drill four new 5mm holes (straight to tube center) in the middle of each elongated cutout
- Attach radial sliding bolts, fasten from inside out with hex tool as shown
- Remove old screws. VersaBase plate is now adjustable for your needs
- Attach Diamond Steeltrack® in prefered position, tighten 8x hex-screws
Using NT-strip-shims of Baader VersaBase
for different tube sizes
Our mounting instruction above was made on a 8" Newtonian – for these instruments our strip shims (adjustment spacers) are not needed. For other tube diameters, please use our strip shims between the telescope tube and the Baader VersaBase (the base of our BDS-NT Diamond Steeltrack®). You gain up to 4mm height. Please note the self-explanatory gif to the left.
General Specifications for all Baader Diamond Steeltrack® (BDS) focusers:
- True diamonds form a micro-geared high precision drive system never accomplished before
- In comparison to conventional crayford or rack & pinion drives, this micro-geared movement has zero backlash, zero cogging, and zero flexure
- Diamond Steeltrack® 2" focusers lift a payload of 6kg (13 lbs) straight up, without slipping, without excessive bearing preload (bearing preload can be increased further if necessary)
- Bearing system utilizes unbreakable Instrument Grade Roller-Bearings instead of simpler Ball Bearings - handles higher loads with greater rigidity and accuracy. No Teflon-pads anywhere
- 1:10 Stainless Steel fine-focus mechanism, ready for attachment of the optional Diamond Steeldrive temperature-compensating motor drive system
- Detachable drive block assembly is reversible for right hand or left hand fine-focus operation and for attaching the Diamond Steeldrive motor block
- Shortest possible mechanical design achieves optimum balance between focuser height (backfocus) and rigidity requirements
- Zero shift locking knob to precisely stop any movement without affecting optical axis adjustment
- S58 Dovetail ring-clamp built into focusing tube for accepting optional T-2 / M48 / M68 and other S58 direct-thread adapters to enable direct thread connection of accessories and cameras without 2" clamp
- 2" eyepiece clamp with hardened bronze clamp ring (length of clamp: 12.5mm / ½") included as standard
- Optionally available 2" Baader Clicklock-clamp w. integrated S58 dovetail (added length: 16mm / 5/8")
- Two auxiliary threads (M60x1 and M55x0,75) cut into the RT & NT focusing-tube for attachment of dedicated field flatteners or focal reducers/correctors
- Each bearing individually adjustable for precise alignment of mechanical vs. optical axis
- Ultra-hard subzero coated bearing races – precision milled and much harder than anodizing or stainless steel
- Oversized 55mm inner clear diameter, to prevent vignetting, with anti-reflection knife-edge baffles
|Net weight (kg)||1.02|
|Focuser Travel||40 mm|
|Payload Capacity (kg)||6 kg|
|Inner Diameter / Clear Aperture (mm)||55|
|Shortest overall height (standard)||63 mm|
|Shortest overall height (w. opt. adapters)||50 mm|
|Motorized||No, but can be upgraded|
|Special Features||True diamonds form a micro-geared high precision drive system|
|Included Accessories||Includes Baader Versabase, for perfect fit onto most tube diameters. Optional flat mounting base also available|
|Outer Connection (lens sided)||Dovetail ring, S88|
|Inner Connection (eyepiece/-camera-sided)||Thread, Clamp, Dovetail ring clamp, M55, S58, 2" (50,8mm)|
|Optional Accessories||Baader Steeldrive temperature compensating motor drive system|
|Focuser size||2 inch|