If you use a flatfield unit in front of your telescope instead of the RCU, that unit should not have a green-blue emission gap. Why? For calibration of the ThAr spectrum, the calibration script of MIDAS scans the flatfield spectrum to recognize as much spectral orders as possible. Order detection could fail with a non-uniform flatfield illumination. That depeds on your given unit.
Also important is the brightness of the flat unit in front of the telescope. It must be very bright to provide the same intensity level at the slit as the RCU which directly illuminates the slit of BACHES.
Also, please consider remote control of the calibration unit. This can only be accomplished by the RCU which contains a LAN female connector for connection to your local network. A fixed IP address can be assigned. You are able to control the RCU with any web browser, the web interface is implemented in the RCU. The standard calibration set with ThAr lamp only can not be controlled remotely!
We recommend the RCU to you, because we are sure that you will like the additional features as compared to the standard unit.
Baader BACHES RCU (Remote Calibration Unit) Calibration-Set
Specially produced for the BACHES Echelle Spectrograph
The Remote Calibration Unit (RCU) is an important optional accessory for the BACHES Echelle Spectrograph. With the RCU you can retrieve accurate and professional calibration of BACHES Echelle-Spectra. The RCU includes a ThAr Calibration Lamp and a Halogen Flatfield lamp, either of them can be connected to the BACHES with a fiberglas cable.
Scope of supply of the Calibration-Unit RCU
Baches RCU (Remote Calibration Unit)-Set, consists of: RCU with built-in Thorium-Argon-Lamp, Flatfield-Lamp, Webinterface and 230V AC-input, fiberglass coupling, fiber optic line (3 Meter), power cable (3 Meter) and ABS-transport case. The built-in ThAr-Calibration lamp and the Halogen Flatfield lamp can be controlled by webinterface.
Please note: The BACHES Spectrograph is NOT included in RCU scope of supply.
Technical data of the Remote Calibration Unit (RCU)
- switchable between fully manually controlled and fully remote controlled
- integrated ThAr lamp and white light lamp for spectral calibration and flatfielding
- integrated power supply for all components
- high voltage 15mA current control for maximum ThAr lamp efficiency
- pre-aligned fiber coupling to BACHES for the ThAr lamp and flatfield lamps, with a removable 50μm fiber, 2.5m in length
- 6 pin, 2.5m power cable for the BACHES solenoid to switch between the telescope light and the flatfield lamp
- Remote control via 10/100 Mbit/s 10base Ethernet (RJ-45), TCP/IP protocol
- integrated web server for fast and easy internet access with any web browser
- additional local PC remote control via RS232 serial line
- size 320mm (L) x 215mm (W) x 125mm (H). L=345mm with handles
- weight net 5.6kg. Power supply 230V AC, 25W
- shielded case with four rubber pads for vibration damping
- optional mounting accessories, for either a 19“ rack or direct telescope attachment, respectively