Would this Baader power supply work if I were to purchase an adapter cable like this one? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-silicone-power-cable-21mm-dc-socket-to-gx12-2-dc-jack.html
One of the downsides of the stepper-motor is the very high power peak requirement during starting up mount motion. Our power supply products are not meant to handle this kind of peaks.
The power supply must provide plug with following specs:
outer diameter 5.5 mm,
inner diameter 2.1mm)
Plug Type: "M-plug"
Even if the measurements seem to be similar it is clear that male and female sockets are the other way round. Voltage and current are fine, but you would have to get a custom made adapter or to cut off the connector from our power supply and remount a Sphinx like one.
Baader OTP Outdoor Telescope Power 60W
The perfect power supply for larger telescopesThe elbowed hollow plug protects your telescope if someone trips over the cable: The plug protective-disconnects before the electronics of the telescope get damaged
This power supply for outdoor use has been specially designed to meet the needs of amateur astronomers at northern latitudes. This 12.8 V/5 A fixed voltage power supply with reverse polarity protected protective-disconnect elbowed plug fits for example to all larger Celestron mounts and offers great advantages at a slightly higher price compared to normal indoor plug-in power supplies.
Conventional nominal 12V power supplies are made for use in your "living room. When used outside in the cold, their voltage will drop with temperature. At -10°C (18F), the voltage output may have gone down to only 10.5 V, and the motors of many telescope mounts will behave erratically at such a low voltage. The motor driver electronics will try to compensate for the low voltage by drawing more current (amps) until both power supply and mount electronics will fail to work properly or suffer damage. Many users blame the mount and its internal electronics when an inadequate power supply may be the culprit.
The Baader Planetarium 60W Outdoor Power Supply is designed for outdoor use, just like the proven, smaller, Baader OTP II 19W: Outdoor Telescope Power Switch with elbowed plug (#2457615, € 28,-) .
Both, the elbowed disconnect plug as well as the straight pull linkage perfectly protect the power input and electronic board of the telescope against damage when tripping onto the cable. Also this protects the cable itself from breakage.
Altogether the distance between telescope and power socket may reach 4 meters. This is longer than usual and assures that the power supply will not become a tripping hazard or dangle in the air. Even for larger telescopes, the power supply can be placed on the ground or onto the accessory tray of a tripod or pillar. The housing is sealed against moisture, but it is not waterproof. So, of course the plugs must not contact wet ground.
The Baader Planetarium 60W Outdoor Power Supply continuously supplies up to 5 Amperes at a minimum of 12.8 Volts, so it is perfect for modern, powerful mounts like the Celestron Advanced VX, CGEM (DX), CGE Pro and CPC HD Deluxe. Of course, it can be used with any mount having a Celestron-Standard receptor (2.1mm x 5.5mm), requiring up to 5 Ampere.
- Elbowed protective-disconnect plug: 2.1mm x 5.5mm x 12mm
- Weight: 0,340 kg
- Measurement: 10,7 cm x 4,8 cm x 3,1 cm
- Output: 12.8 Volt / 5 Ampere (60 Watt)
- Input: 100-240V, 50-60 Hz.
- Protection Rating IP 22
- Compact housing
- 2,05 meter cable (consisting of 1,55 m connection cable, 0,5 m coupling cable, separable quick disconnect elbowed plug) fits most common telescopes. No more cable spaghetti with banana plugs and automobile 12V-lighter sockets!
- Protective Quick-Disconnect (elbowed) Plug protects the electronic boards of the telescope from damage at the power socket and the power supply from broken cables. Also acts as voltage protection against accidentally reversing +/- polarity .
- The 2.05 m connection to the telescope is long enough to protect the power supply from dangling loose and offers two disconnection points for the utmost in security. On the input-side, the power supply has 1.8 m cable length.
- The enclosed housing protects against moisture and is designed for outdoor-use but it is not waterproof.
- Ample voltage is provided even at low temperatures.
|Net weight (kg)||0.34|
|Adaptable to||large Celestron and other mounts|
|Power Input (V)||100 – 240V (50-60 Hz)|
|Power Output (V)||12.8V|
|Power Output (A)||5 A|
|Power Output (W)||60 W|
|Cable length||1,55 m Kabel Netzteil/Montierung, 0,5 m Kupplungskabel, 1,8 m Kabel Netzteil/Steckdose|