To be honest, autoguiding is usually used for larger sensors which would be obstructed by a 1,25"-focuser anyway, and most focusers which are strong enough for a flip mirror, a camera, a guiding camera and maybe even an eyepiece are 2"-focusers, so we preferred a larger mirror.
To test this, take a look through the eyepiece and move the mirror slightly up - if the star moves in the desired direction (or contrary to it), then you need to adjust the brass pins. Please see page 11 in the manual (chapter 3 - Adjusting the mirror). If it moves sideways instead, things get complicated. But that's most probably the solution.
Baader FlipMirror II Star Diagonal
Various ports – variable work
Telescope auxillary instruments cover a wide range of interests, from a sole eyepiece, via camera use, to high end spectroscopy. Unfortunately every telescope just features one exit port. This causes relentless manual exchange of parts in the dark, causing huge time loss, wear on the parts - and "nerves". And whenever you start controlling your telescope remotely - the single port becomes a painful reality.
Improving workflow, especially during astrophotography is the goal set out for the BFM II. This is not just a simple flip mirror but much more, as there are three ports to be put into action.
BFM II makes your single telescope port variable - to suit your various interests.
The FlipMirror II Star Diagonal allows a variety of permanent adaptations to your telescope 1 . Use the rotary knob 2 to switch between the rear port 3 and the top port 4; you can use an optional toothed belt to operate it with a motor (not included). An autoguider or a calibration lamp can be connected to the bottom port 5.
General Function of the FlipMirror II Star Diagonal
The BFM II lets you switch between a straight light path (Position A) for a camera or other measuring instruments and an angled light path (Position B), e.g.
for an eyepiece. The following figure shows how it works. In addition, a calibration lamp for spectrographs or an Off-Axis-Guider pickoff-prism (that is not affected by the mirror position) can be connected at the AUX-port on the bottom
Scope of Delivery of the Baader FlipMirror II Star Diagonal:
- Baader FlipMirror II Star Diagonal – with fine-optically polished, movable mirror
- Laterally adjustable T-2a top ring
- 2x M48i / S52 Dovetail ring made of hardened stainless steel # 2958552
- Reducing ring M48a / T-2i # 2958553
- Reducing ring M48a / T-2a # 2958554
- Inverter ring M48a / M48a # 2958555
- Pin type face wrench for M48 / T-2 and M4 counter nuts
- 3 mm screwdriver for M 4 brass adjustment screws
- 4x hex keys (2.5 / 2.0 / 1.5 / 1.3 mm). The 2.0 mm wrench has a ball head to reach screws even when accessories are mounted by holding the wrench at an angle.
- Bottom flange (laterally adjustable 1mm) for off-axis guide or calibration lamp for spectroscopy
- Dust cap for bottom flange
- 2 x M48 dust caps
- T-2 dust cap
|Optical length (mm)||55 mm with S52, 59 mm with M48/T-2|
|Dimensions||63 x 77 x 69 mm|
|Inner Connection (lens sided)||Thread, Dovetail ring clamp, S52, T-2 (M42 x 0,75), M48|
|Weight (kg)||195 g|
|Inner Connection (eyepiece/-camera-sided)||Thread, Dovetail ring clamp, M48, S52|
|Outer Connection (eyepiece/-camera-sided)||Thread, M48|
|Type of Adapter||Variable|