Product Questions and Answers
If you have not found a suitable answer, you can ask your question here.
Astro-Physics Stowaway 92mm f6.65 Refractor
Are you looking for a light and compact travel telescope with outstanding optics and perfect mechanics? Then you should take a closer look at the 92 Stowaway from Astro Physics.
This triplet lens scope has the same extraordinary quality that you have come to expect from Astro-Physics with a few new exciting features:
- Grab ‘n go visual travel companion. Follow eclipses around the globe or observe wildlife from afar!
- Dramatic deep-sky imaging with its optional Field Flattener (#1405342) and Telecompressor Corrector (#1405333).
- Silky, smooth 2.5” Starlight Instruments Feather Touch focuser with dual-speed mechanism. The dual-speed feature is particularly advantageous for critically focusing this fast focal ratio. A digital focusing system is available for imaging.
- Rotating focuser enables you to frame your photos for optimal, artistic composition.
- Compact, lightweight tube assembly travels easily in its Pelican Air case.
- Fully retractable, felt-lined dew shield slides to its fully-extended position and then secures in place.
- Latest multi-coating technology will provide optimum light transmission.
Roland Christen's air-spaced 3-element lens has broad band multi-coatings on all surfaces. Optimization was chosen for the polychromatic Strehl ratio to be above 90% for the entire visual spectrum with a peak value of 99.8% at the visual peak. The focus variation (the color longitudinal error) is less than +/- 0.003% between the wavelengths 656 nm to 436 nm (c to g wavelength).
The result is unprecedented color correction. Visually the scope shows sharp contrasty images without color fringing with well-corrected high-power oculars.
The Mach2GTO or Mach1GTO (no longer available) German Equatorial mounts are recommended for visual observation or astro-imaging.
- Tube Assembly with Starlight Instruments' 2.5" FeatherTouch Focuser, Dew Shield and Dustcover
- 2" and 1.25" Adapters
- Mounting Rings and V-Style Dovetail Bar
- Pelican Air 1525 Carrying Case with TrekPak Dividers
For further information and useful accessories about the 92mm f6.65 Stowaway Refractor please visit the Original Website of Astro-Physics.
Read here our blog about "Why an oil-spaced triplet-lens?"
Useful, complementary accessories
- Baader 2" BBHS ® Prism Star Diagonal Prism with 2" ClickLock Clamp (#2456117 , € 505)
- Mark V Großfeld (Giant)-Binocular (#2456410 , € 1424.99)
For sun obervation:
- Baader 2" Cool-Ceramic Safety Herschel Prism (Visual / Photographic) (various versions available)
- ASTF: AstroSolar Telescope Filter OD 5.0 (80mm - 280mm) (various versions available) (ASTF 80mm)
- ASSF: AstroSolar Spotting Scope Filter OD 5.0 (50mm - 150mm) (various versions available) (ASSF 100mm)
Special photographic accessories
Field flattener design
The optional field flattener design (#1405342) achieves wide band color correction that extends into the violet regions with diffraction-limited performance designed for the most demanding modern astronomical cameras. This is especially important for the latest CMOS chips which have their highest sensitivities in the violet part of the spectrum and will show large blue halos with lesser optical designs. The 92 mm with dedicated field flattener produces sharp images at all wavelengths without blue halos or bloated stars.
0.8x Focal Reducer
The 0.8x CCD Telecompressor for 92mm Stowaway (#1405333) is used to provide 0.80x image reduction while correcting the field curvature that is inherent in all refracting telescopes. It will provide pin point stars to the very corners of an APS-C camera sensor. It has a corrected image circle of approximately 40 mm.
The technical data of image field flattening and Focal Reducer
Photographic field with dedicated Field Flattener
- Unvignetted image circle: 50 mm diameter
- 35 mm format: 3.2 x 2.2 degrees
- Focal ratio: f/7
- Focal length: 644 mm
- Backfocus Spacing: 2.52" (64.1 mm)
Photographic field with 0.8x Telecompressor Corrector
- Unvignetted image circle: 40 mm diameter
- 35 mm format: 4.2 x 2.9 degrees
- Focal ratio: f/5.3
- Focal length: 488 mm
- Backfocus Spacing: 2.52" (64.1 mm)
Photographic field with 2x Barlow
- Image circle: 32 mm diameter, 1.2 degrees
- Covers APS format
- Focal ratio: f/13 @ 90 mm backfocus
|Optical Design||Apochromatic Refractor|
|Clear Aperture||92 mm (3.62”)|
|Focal Length||612 mm (24.1”)|
|Back Focus Distance||160 mm (6.3”)|
|Optical Coatings||Multi-layer, broadband, overall transmission greater than 97% in peak visual wavelengths|
|Magnification (x)||18x to 360x|
|Tube diameter (max)||3.62”|
|Tube (Material)||Cream white, 3.62” diameter, machined aluminum tube, fully baffled, flat black interior, engraved retaining ring.|
|Optical length (mm)||19.5” (495 mm) with dew shield fully retracted; 21.75” (553 mm) with dew shield fully extended.|
|Optical Tube Weight||7.1 lb. (3.2 kg) with dust cap|
|Mount Type||Astro-Physics Mach2GTO wird empfohlen|
|Focuser||2,5" I.D. Starlight Instruments FeatherTouch Focuser with rotating collar, rack and pinion, Feather Touch Micro 9:1 dual-speed reduction, 3.5” travel. Focuser drawtube features millimeter focusing scale.|
|Included Accessories||2” and 1.25” adapters included, Pelican Air 1525 with TrekPak Dividers|