Morpheus-eyepieces with intense luminescent lettering A short lightstroke with a flashlight will have the main letters shine for up to three minutes in bright luminescence. Hence - even in total darkness - Morpheus-eyepieces can be easily identified when lost on the ground.
BAADER Morpheus 76° widefield eyepieces
Visual / Photo and Video – High-end for your telescope
The eyepiece is half the optics of a telescope - and when trying to use the optical system to its limits even good middle class eyepieces are becoming the limiting factor. Morpheus® eyepieces provide a sharp image right to the edge of the (true) 76° field of view. The brightness and richness of contrast offers a new dimension in eyepiece design. These eight-lens eyepieces with Phantom Coating® Group excel at planetary observation as well as deep-sky objects - especially when serving as photographic projection eyepieces due to their flat field design.
All Morpheus® wide-field eyepieces with 4.5 to 17.5 mm focal length form the perfect complement to your low magnification eyepieces. Even at highest magnification, each Morpheus® eyepiece does provide a larger field of view than what is claimed for by many eyepieces with over 80 degrees of apparent field of view. The absence of distortion in the eyepiece enables you to oversee the full field at once and to easily find the best viewing position, while enjoying a spacewalk feeling unmatched by others. You will see deep sky objects wonderfully embedded into their stellar surroundings. In addition, the large, sharp field of view gives you much more viewing time on non-motorized (Dobsonian) telescopes without touching the telescope and w/o changing the eyepiece. All Morpheus® eyepieces feature both 1.25" and 2" nosepieces without the much hated undercuts. Still all Morpheus® eyepieces are perfectly safe against slipping due to their multitude of individual Safety-Kerfs cut into the barrels. The 2" nosepiece is integrated into the eyepiece body which saves about 21 mm in focus travel. This becomes especially useful with ultra low focal plane (visual Newtonian) telescopes. And for many other scopes it does eliminate the need for a 2 "/ 1¼" reducer adapter.
Due to their shape, design and low weight, the Morpheus® eyepieces are the best eyepieces to use in a binoviewer. No other eyepiece series has been designed consistently for this use, while offering the same (true) field angle, minimized vignetting and providing a 55 mm outer housing diameter throughout, to allow binoviewing even for children with just 55 mm interpupillary distance. The slim outer body has been made as small as possible, without any metal added simply for look or feel. The "eye-lens-group" is sized so very large, to make the viewing behavior totally stress-less. Even at too large a viewing distance the object remains visible - a feature very appreciated by public observatories with lots of untrained visitors. You will not find an eyepiece that gives a better "space-float effect". Especially when using both eyes, the edge of the field of view virtually disappears, creating that famous spacewalk-feeling - like "floating in space".
Just like the modular Hyperion® eyepiece series with 68° field of view, the 76° Morpheus® eyepiece series is also especially suitable for photography. The distortion is even lower than in the Hyperion® eyepieces, despite the larger field of view. The M43/T-2 Photo/Video adapter ring(# 2958080) fits onto all Morpheus® eyepieces. With this optional M43/T-2 connector, you can use virtually any DSLR or system camera for classic eyepiece projection through the established system of T-2 bayonet rings and attach the eyepiece instead of a lens at the correct projection distance in front of the camera. For the so-called afocal eyepiece projection, an M43/SP54 extension ring (# 2954251) is also available, opening up to a world of SP54 camera-lens step up/step-down rings (Hyperion® DT-rings) . With this system of rings any Morpheus® eyepiece can be mounted so closely onto the front lens of a large photo-objective that the eyelens of the eyepiece and the camera front lens almost make contact - but just almost! Exactly this precise distance control allows for good illumination of the camera sensor during afocal projection.
A detailed guide to the full wealth of photographic application methods - also for video and planetary imaging can be found here.
All Morpheus® Highlights in an OverviewDie Morpheus® 76° Okularfamilie
Imaging / eyepiece-projection: showing Morpheus® eyepiece on 2" Diamond-Steeltrack focuser w. optional adapters – for instance for mounting a DSLR-camera on the M43 photo-video adapter thread.
- Full Field Sharpness: The sharp, flat 76° field is unsurpassed by any other modern wide field eyepiece. On-axis sharpness and contrast rivals the Zeiss Abbe II eyepieces, while delivering nearly equivalent performance over the full field. Stars remain diamond pinpoints as you move away from center, and the field remains flat and in focus, even in short focus telescopes.
- Long Eye Relief: Morpheus® pushes the envelope of comfortable wide field viewing further than ever before, delivering close to 20mm of eye relief along with best-in-class optical performance. Eyeglass wearers can comfortably take in the full field, and users of Binoviewers will find that Morpheus® are the ultimate eyepieces for viewing with two eyes.
- Low Distortion: The highly sophisticated optical design delivers exceedingly low distortion (angular magnification distortion). Planets and lunar features retain their shapes as they transit the field and the true field sizes match the theoretical value. Many companies exaggerate at this point and deliberately use off axis distortion magnification as a means to advertize blown "apparent" field sizes . You will be able to compare this given field size of 76° and find it to be the true value, calculated from the apparent field size and focal length.
- Immersive Views: As avid observers ourselves, we have studied the behaviors of most commonly available wide field eyepieces and listened to other observers comments on what eyepieces give the most palpable and engaging wide field viewing experience. What we found is that the subjective ‘spacewalk’ feeling is not just a function of field of view. Interestingly, some wide-field eyepieces with fields of 82 degrees failed to deliver the same viewing experience as others with similar fields, or even some with smaller fields. We found two additional primary factors played into the equation – Eye Relief (and the related large eye lens size) and Ease of Viewing (a combination of long eye relief and control of pupil aberrations). We also found that fields much below 74 degrees tended to have a reduced effect. So, with this information in hand, we set out to design the Morpheus® series with a field of view of 76° that met all of the other optical parameters necessary to deliver a truly "immersive" viewing experience where the eyepiece essentially disappears.
- Phantom Coating® Group: Pioneered in the Hyperion® lineup, the Phantom Group Multi-coatings have been further optimized for use in the Morpheus® and index-matched to each of the different glasses.
- Optimized Internal Baffling: As with all Baader Planetarium eyepieces, the internal mechanicals have been fully ray-traced and baffled to eliminate the effects of stray-light and reflections.
The folding rubber eyecups of Morpheus eyepieces
- Optimized for Binoviewing: Every last bit of space has been squeezed out of the main body to minimize its size, giving maximum nose clearance for binoviewing.
- Weight reduction: Every effort has been made to eliminate unnecessary weight - especially in view of effective binoviewing. The weight of all Morpheus® eyepieces essentially are the lenses inside plus the best protection and water resistance we can supply.
- Safety Features: The 1¼" and 2" Barrels of each Morpheus incorporate our Slip-Protect Safety-Kerfs. The ideal safety compromise between smooth barrels and wide undercuts. The numerous shallow kerfs give additional grip and security from inadvertent drops from smooth sided barrels, without the annoying problems sometimes caused by traditional wide undercuts. Wide waffle-patterned rubber grip ring gives an extra measure of handling security.
- Luminescent Labeling: The labeling glows in a soft green, if the eyepiece has been in the light for some time, or if it has been illuminated directly with a flashlight. This allows you to recognize immediately which focal length you have in your hand – even in the darkest night.
- Belt pouch: Not enough space at the telescope? The pouch does not only protect the eyepiece – you can even use it as a belt pouch or attach it to your tripod.
- Photo-Video Adaptation: Like their Hyperion siblings, all Morpheus eyepieces make superb imaging projection optics. Each Morpheus includes a hidden M43 photo-video eye lens thread that permits use of our extensive range of Hyperion Digital T-Rings. These rings permit direct-thread attachment of practically any imaging device for the ultimate in rigidity and close-coupling for minimal vignetting.
|Focal Length||12,5 mm|
|Apparent Field of View||76°|
|Eye Relief (mm)||20 mm|
|AR-Coating||Phantom Coating® Group|
|Special Features||Photo-luminescent engraving: lets you find the correct eyepiece at all times|
|Barrel Size (in)||1¼", 2"|
|Optical Design||Wide Angle|
|Speciality||Eyepiece projection: classical|
|Field Stop Diameter||16,8 mm|
|Field Stop Displacement to reference plane||+/- 0 mm|
|Number of Lens Elements||8|
|Number of Groups||5|
|Backfocus gain w. 2“ Barrel (mm)||21 mm|
|Slip Protect Safety||Safety Kerfs|
|Eyepiece Body above Reference Plane (mm)||84 mm|
|Length of 1¼" barrel (mm)||24 mm|
|Length of 2" barrel (mm)||21 mm|
|Outer Diameter||55 mm|
|Outer Connection (eyepiece/-camera-sided)||Thread, M43|
|Inner Connection (lens sided)||Thread, M28,5|
|Outer Connection (lens sided)||Barrel, 1¼", 2" (50,8mm)|
|Threaded for filters||Yes|
|Dustcaps||1¼" dustcap (31,8mm), 2" dustcap (46.5mm - fits over eyecup), 2" dustcap (49mm)|
|Eyecups||rubber/metal, folding eyecup with M43 thread, winged eyecup (M43)|
|Included Accessories||Cordura eyepiece holster for fast access, Focallength Indicator-Clip, M43/M43 extension|
|Optional Accessories||Baader Utility Bag #2954201 for small accessories|